In Middle Age, I Finally Got my First Bra… Sewn. :)

I finally got a chance to learn to sew a bra to add one more women’s garment I can sew in my quest to be able to design and sew some version of all the main garments in a woman’s wardrobe. This was from Beverly Johnson’s Sewing Bras: Construction and Fit class on Craftsy, using one of her bra kits on her Bra Makers Supply site. I had the luxury of having one of my sewing guild’s bra makers near me during a sewing retreat to ask questions, but I think I could have done it on my own. I had held off because of how hard some made made it seem to sew bras. It was probably for proper fit more than sewing techniques that those comments were about. That I can see but techniques, I’ve got some pretty basic skills, even if I’ve done a lot with them. I’m not advanced sewist to be able to do this bra with reasonable ease. Just pay attention to the details cause undoing most of anything is a pain! Lots of short stitches, lightning stitches and/or more than one stitch for strength and/or durability! Trust me, I learned this the hard way many times in doing this, but it was for lack of attention in group social sewing, rather than anything being too hard to understand.

Continue reading

Advertisements

One Bad Clown Beating Should Stop All This Clowning Around

Clowns have been at it again recently, making random appearances and freaking out people.

Hey, that’s fun! Who wouldn’t want to scare people like that?

Well, lots don’t but lots still would, kind of like practical jokes and Hallowe’en jokes, except on a more adult level with a little more creep. And as long as there’s no cost or consequences, what’s to stop someone from doing so?

Ah, but that’s the magic phrase!

Continue reading

My First Ao Dai

Recently, I submitted an entry into a sewing contest. For it, I motivated myself to finally learn how to make an ao dai (ow-yai, meaning long garment), the national garment of Viet Nam, my country of origin. I used a pattern for a base, Folkwear 139. However, I customized it to fit a 5’10” friend who was my sewing model. I also fixed how the shoulders were done because sewing it as instructed left a very jagged shoulder “dart”, which was essentially what I was doing more than sewing it together as a seam. Then I extended the neck line from the body up so it didn’t leave such a big collar. Finally, on my real garment, I redrafted the front and back pieces to remove the vertical darts so as not to disturb the beautiful big print, and took out a dart on the sleeve.

Continue reading