The Surest Bets of Stock Market Investment

As mentioned yesterday, I’ve not been writing lots, poetry or prose, due mostly in part to power learning investing in the stock market. It’s long, long overdue I should have done this and lost a lot of opportunities in not having done it earlier, if I had generally taken the “safe” route. Mind you, what I learned recently wasn’t easily, and possibly as nicely, available just several years ago, so I might have been disastrous at it for all I know. Hence, I won’t berate myself too much on the cost of my procrastination as lately as the winter of 2020 when I was going to do this, and ended up learning all the world art history available on Khan Academy. But now that I feel I have a good grasp of things, I’m going to write about it. Why? CERTAINLY NOT to give advice! That’s for sure! No. Why I’m going to be writing about it is from a Chinese philosophy near and dear to my heart, which says you don’t truly know something until you can teach it. Now, I’m not going to “teach” all of investing in this and future posts about investing. No. Far from it! There are great full courses online like Wall Street Survivor where you can get all the info. I’m just going to “teach” my approach, which pulls out the most essential information from all that craziness, and why it’s “good”. Hopefully, with time, I’ll also be able to prove it with data on my outcomes, because getting rich slowly isn’t hard. It’s only trying to get rich quickly that is. So let’s get started!

Continue reading

The Many Benefits of Buying Discounted Old Groceries

When I’m enter my local groceries store, the first place I head is the breads, fruits, and vegetables sections, where I look for items on 50% discount because they have to be consumed “soon”. I head there first because pending what is on discount for almost immediate consumption, that will influence what else I will or won’t be buying to a large extent. I might as well know what my new shopping parameters are rather than having to put things back later when I discover these discounted items and give them priority. It’s a system that has worked well for me, and for many reasons far beyond the obvious savings.

Continue reading

Why Do We Need Groundhogs When We Also Cast Shadows?

For this Groundhog Day, I ask this question.

Why do we need groundhogs when we also cast shadows?

Moment of enlightenment… when you step outside on February 2nd, you will be able to get the same results as a groundhog for predicting an early spring or long winter!

Better yet, you’d get a localized results for where you are, not wherever that groundhog people around you watching. Localization is SO important in weather forecasts considering how weather can be rather different only miles away pending the terrain of an area, that why would you want to get a forecast from tens or hundreds of miles away?

Just make sure you interpret the results of your shadow, or lack thereof correctly. That, as it turns out, is the opposite of what people interpret from the groundhog since they’re right only 37% of the time in the past 30 years. Interpreting things the other way will get you a 63% correct rate. That may not sound great but it’s better than what many people get in school and tests who out there doing all kinds of jobs and practicing all kinds of trades that impact you and I! It’s probably better than the forecast you usually get. And it’s DEFINITELY better than 37% the groundhog gets!

Would Sex with a Robot Be Infidelity?

As I venture more into artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics, I will encounter a lot of issues for which there are no clear or right answers. As I learn about them, I will also think about them to formulate an opinion on each issue to form a more complete perspective of it all. I will form an opinion, even if the opinion were it doesn’t matter to me… or at least not yet.

A week ago, I came across an excellent article in the Culture section of the BBC website called Would Sex with a Robot Be Infidelity? Here is my perspective after reading it and some other articles.

Continue reading