When you take on anything for some time, whether a job, hobby, sport, or some other activity, do you aspire to bring something to it that will change, expand, and/or improve it? I don’t necessarily mean anything revolutionary, even something noticeable to many. Just something you can lay claim to, or lay claim to independently if someone else had done the same thing obscurely. This is what I ultimately do in anything I take up, usually after I get some foundational understanding of the matter, like how things worked, how they came to be where they are now, what has been done and what is being done, what has not and why, etc. That’s when I ask myself this metaphorical quote of what will you bring to the game? Here are some of my modest answers so far:
- Racing the bus along entire routes for a show in doing distance running intervals workouts;
- Doing origami with cellophane to show what finished pieces look like on the inside;
- Designing and making a stronger and more functional pant pocket than commonly found;
- Improving assessment similar to Myers-Briggs and making it free online for the world to use;
- Creating many words and terms to describe what there aren’t words and terms to describe;
- Modernizing (bastardizing?) Japanese poetic forms to be tweet like with Emily Dickinson’s dashing punctuation style; among others.