Loblaw’s in Canada recently introduced cricket powder to the food it carries. The website description is this (also see President’s Choice website).
Made with crickets farmed right here in Canada, this 100% cricket powder is a nutritious, versatile food that is high in protein and an excellent source of vitamin B12. Finely ground with a mild taste, it can be added to smoothies, sauces, chili, curries and baking batters.
CAUTION: PEOPLE WHO ARE ALLERGIC TO CRUSTACEANS AND SHELLFISH MAY HAVE AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO CRICKETS.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) has a fair article on the product.
Mother’s Day is a huge holiday in North America as lots of people get all kinds of things for their Moms. For all the great gifts out there, though, that one could buy, most people would probably agree that something you make is more valued, even if it might be less useful. This year, though, I thought of something to do better. I adopted a minor lifestyle change Mom had suggested to me for some time now.
This is a bit late for today as I only recently found out about it, but perhaps you can apply it on May 5th, 2025.
Square Root Day is when the date, month and last two digits of the year can be written as a multiplication equation for a square number. Today, April 4th, 2016, is one such example with 4 x 4 = 16. The next one is May 5th, 2015 as said, and there are only 9 Square Root Days to a century.
Some people, like Scientific American, doesn’t think there’s much fun that can be had like Pi Day. Well, it depends on how you do it, and if you’ve got the personality for it. Here are some ideas for what to do for fun on Square Root Day:
- Act square (let’s see you do something that fun with a pie!)
- Get a root canal while acting square (OK, not so fun)
- Square off over the root cause of something (this can be very fun and intellectual)
- Square off over the root cause of something, with drawing squares for guns
- Root for some thing or somebody square
- Eat square stuff
- Eat from square plates or bowls, or drink any concoction from square glasses
- Make a square pie and eat that!
- Post a square photo on Instagram
If you see this and it’s still Square Root Day, get out and do something and have some fun!
Happy Square Root Day!