Settling a soccer match by penalty kicks is like deciding…
- Boxing decisions by having fighters taking turn freely punching each other till one goes down.
- Baseball ties after 9 innings with a home run hitting contest.
- Basketball ties in regular time with a free throw or 3 point shooting contest.
- American football ties with a field goal kicking contest.
- Tennis ties with an ace serving contest instead of tie-breakers.
Soccer needs an alternative that involves the natural play of the game! What alternatives? Here are some to consider.
Congratulations to the Japanese women soccer team for winning the 2011 FIFA World Cup in soccer!
They fought courageously, coming back from a goal down twice reasonably late in the game to tie it 2-2 in extra time. Then they won it decisively on in penalty kicks, not needing to finish the set to win it 3-1, becoming the first Asian soccer World Cup champions. Absolutely true to their underdog label to the very end!
The US may have seemed to have dominated play, with 27 shots to a dozen or so by the Japanese. However, it was all an illusion. The Japanese had more shots on goal than the US, at 6-5. The Japanese also had the ball 53% of the time.
The US was the flashier team, but the Japanese was the more consistent team.