I am starting a new phase in my garment design and making adventure with my dress shirt pattern fitting pretty much complete. I have officially dug into my good fabric stash for making dress shirts designs I’ve for several years now, designs which will really showcase my design ability and vision. See the first picture in the gallery below for an example of the kind of fabrics I’m talking about. In this case, it’s all Chinese jacquards, which I hate to say, stinks a little upon ironing. However, I hope that will lessen with several more washing.
I’ve been on a new quest to draft and make a proper fitting dress shirt for myself. I’ve also been sewing less as resolved for 2014, with some time off allowed for myself at the end of 2013 and early 2014 to set up some other resolutions. That’s why I haven’t finished any new garments until now.
I am currently on another round of dress shirt fitting for myself with help from others, so I’d be making some muslins till I get it right. Seeing how many I went through on the last round of self fitting, and knowing I’d be starting much closer to the end product this time, I got the brilliant idea of making muslins out of flannel, and seeing them through to the finish to be pajama tops!
This past spring, the Atlantic Sewing Guild to which I belong had what was called a Knits Challenge. The idea was to sew something out of knits, preferably one of two McCall’s patterns, McCall’s 5890 or McCall’s 6247, but not necessarily so. The patterns were chosen for the general simplicity to encourage many to try, but also for their versatility as each had a wide variety of pieces. I had sewn with knits before, like with this customized dress from two patterns, so I went with trying a pattern not meant for knits as my challenge. In the spirit of sewing with knits, I would be expanding my range to be able to sew more things with knits should I succeed, meaning I would be sewing with knits more often in the long run as was the goal for everyone to get some more experience sewing with knits.